Board of Directors
- President: Brad Smith
- Vice President: Scott Greer
- Past President: Brian Palesch
- Treasurer: Jim Noel
- Registrar: Ted de St. Croix
- Head Coach: Maureen de St. Croix
- Director: Gerry Strutinski
- Director: Lisa Strutinski
- Director: Phil Ellis
- Director: Dave Short
- Director: Jim Clifford
To encourage excellence and increased participation in the sport of Athletics (Track and Field) and Running.
To provide an expert club that develops, encourages and supports Athletics (Track & Field) and Running athletes of all ages and abilities.
- Athletics & Running as the basis for sport
- Athlete focused programs lead by qualified & dedicated Coaches
- Fun, inclusive, equitable, ethical and drug free sporting environment
- Effective leadership, efficient administration and strong business practices
- Dedication, honesty and integrity by all club members
- Interact and cooperate within the community
- Multi-events - Jim Clifford
- Hurdles - Mary Chewning
- Jumps - Sue Janzen
- Sprints - Charles Oamen
- Distance - Lynn Kanuka
- Throws - Fred Sommers
- Jumps - Jim Clifford (PV, HJ, LJ, TJ), Mary Chewning (LJ), Sue Janzen (LJ, TJ)
- Sprints/Hurdles - Charles Oamen (Sprints), Mary Chewning (Hurdles)
- Distance/XC - Lynn Kanuka, Scott Greer
- Junior Development (JD) - Maureen de St. Croix, Ted de St. Croix, Brad Smith, Jian Zhu, Stu Mitchell, Sheryl Murrell, Gabriella Por, Sue Janzen
- Throws - Fred Sommers, Christina Juert, Don Allemeersch, Ted de St. Croix
- Seahorses/Run Jump Throw - Maureen/Ted de St. Croix
Maureen de St. Croix - Head Coach, JD, Middle Distance
Maureen is a former Canadian Champion in the 400m and 800m with a pb of 2.03 for 800m. She still holds several age group World Records for women 50-54. Maureen has been coaching athletics for 30 years has taken B.C. coaching certification for sprints and hurdles and is a certified instructor for the Run Jump Throw program in BC. In 2008 Maureen was awarded the John Copeland award by BC Athletics. In 2013 Maureen was nominated for YWCA Woman Of Distinction.
Jim Clifford - Jumps Coach
In 2005, Jim was awarded JD Excellence in Coaching by Athletics B.C. Jim has his Level 3 National Coaching Certification and is a fully certified level 2 coach in jumps, throws, distance events. In the BC JD top ten of all time statistics, Jim has coached 3 sprinters, 5 hurdlers, 4 pentathletes, 1 triple jumper, 4 high jumpers, 5 shot putters, 1 javelin thrower, 6 discus throwers and helped train 4 hammer throwers to achieve a BC top ten. We are very excited that Jim has decided to join Ocean Athletics in 2008 and we hope all our coaches will take advantage of Jim's experience.
Mary is an accomplished track athlete who at one time ventured into marathon running. In 2012, 3 of her athletes broke BC records in various hurdles distances and all three received nominations as age group athletes of the year in 2012.
Lynn Kanuka - Distance
Lynn is perhaps best known for her Bronze medal performance at the Los Angeles Olympic Games in 1984. Lynn's personal favorite accomplishments include her Commonwealth Gold Medal in Edinburgh in 1986, her 5th place finish at the Olympic Games in Seoul in 1988 in which she finished only 2/10's of a second from a silver medal, and perhaps best of all was her Bronze Medal win at the World Cross Country Championships in Norway. Lynn held every Canadian record for middle distance from 800m to 10K on the roads and at present (sadly!) has held the 1500m record since 1985. She currently works first of all as proud mother of four active children, and as leader of the SportMed RunWalk team. This includes coordinating the InTraining for SunRun InTraining clinics throughout the province, raising funds for athletes and motivating people to be active.
Fred Sommers - Throws
Fred is a former Canadian National Team thrower specializing in Hammer and Discus. A local school principal, Fred has helped guide throwers to several provincial titles recently.
Charles Oamen - Sprints
Charles is a former Nigerian National Team sprinter recently moved to South Surrey. Young, enthusiastic and the type of coach who knows that running form makes the sprinter more than anything else.
Dave Short - Sprints, Cross Country
Dave has been coaching forever, according to those who know him. He has coached B.C. Championship Cross Country and Track and Field athletes and teams. Dave is the club handy man and has been instrumental in making sure our equipment is in working order.
Ted de St. Croix - JD
Ted is an active Masters track athlete so he can try and keep up with Maureen. He is the former National Orienteering Coach and has been Canadian Orienteering Champion 14 times and is a World Masters Orienteering Champion. If you want map directions, come and see Ted. Ted has his level 2 National Coaching certification and is a level 4 technical orienteering coach as well as BC Athletics Run Jump Throw and BC Athletics Official - Chief Photo Timing Judge Level 4. Ted was awarded BC Athletics Official of the Year in 2012.